Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Well Hello Dolly!

We're waiting.  Dolly is coming and we're ready for her.  She's only going to be a Cat 1 when she hits the coast of Tx, which isn't bad.  We're at the northern tip of the storm.  I've been asked by a few people if we're evacuating, but since just north of us, about 10 miles north, it's no longer a hurricane warning, it's a tropical storm warning, we're staying right here.  I have moved my car out from under it's customary tree, just in case.  And we have plenty of water, just in case.  A good amount of canned goods, some cash and a car full of gas.  What more could you want?
People aren't even freaking out yet.  I got gas and the lot was empty, even though the station was 10¢ lower than usual.  The grocery store beside my house isn't more crowded than usual and people are going to and from work like it's nothing.

I went to the gym again today.  For some reason, I wasn't feeling well and nearly tossed my Raisin Bran Crunch all over the elliptical, but I managed to hold it down and finish my usual workout, even though it wasn't as 'intense' as it normally is.

We're on the downward slope of Nick's deployment.  Only 6 weeks to go.  He's started making plans over what he wants to do with his two weeks of leave when he returns.  One of our plans was to go to the Mall of America and spend a week or so up there.  Instead of that, we've decided to pay on our truck and get some of it taken care of, and stay in San Antonio on the Riverwalk instead.  Nick was cruising the hotel sites and found one he liked a lot.  He inquired online about military discount and it's the BEST we've ever heard of.  50% off!  He booked it without bothering to ask me because the deal was awesome.  We probably won't get a room overlooking the walk, but who cares?  We're getting the Mariott for the rate of the Motel Six!  We also plan on going to San Marcus to the Outlet mall for our little shopping trip.  Nick has lost about 30lbs and needs new clothes and will also need new shoes.  Might as well get them cheap.

Aaron starts school on the 25th of August.  I don't know how he's going to take it.  He's really good with routine.  You get him on one, and he won't stray from it.  But breaking a new routine in is really hard. I look forward to him going back, he had a lot of fun these last 2 years at HeadStart, but I'm also worried the new teacher won't understand him.  That she'll think he's a 'problem kid' instead of understanding that he needs a little more direction in the beginning but once it's established, he's a really happy kid.  I can see me having to pick him up early a bit in the beginning.  Luckily, we've met with his principal and she understands that though Aaron is no longer 'special needs' (he was discharged from speech therapy at the end of last year), he still might need some social adjusting that other kids developed while he was working on speech.  We'll see I guess.

4 comments:

Sara said...

If even a tropical storm were heading near us, everyone would run screaming - but let's see how the Texans handle a blizzard of the NY/New England variety!

Cool getaway plans, and awesome discount. Maybe Mark should join the military? Uh, nope, nm, I take that back.

I'm sure Aaron will be fine. Have you met his teacher yet? Maybe that would help so he can get used to her ahead of school? I can't even contemplate day care yet, much less school, so I am afraid I don't have any great advice.

Destiny said...

It is great you have talked to the principal. Now you need to meet the teacher. He may not have been assigned to one yest. As soon as you know make contact with her. It is always best to have open lines of communication. Just make sure you let her know you want this to be a partnership. Explain what works well with your little guy. But also remember that she has (hopefully) has expereince with kids just starting school. I know it is scary to send them off to beig kid school for the first time. He will do fine.

Homeslice said...

i'll be thinking of you during dolly. hope everything will be okay.

Heather said...

Ahhh it was just a little wind and rain ... nothing bad! :|

Thank goodness it's over! My friend who lives in Rio Grande lost power about 2pm yesterday and her mom's house is holding about a foot of water, and it's sitting about a foot-and-a-half up off the ground! YIKES!

Let's hope we don't have to go through that again! :)