Sunday, July 27, 2008

Aaaah!

Yesterday I called my in-laws early in the morning.  I asked them to come up and take the kids to the aquarium.  Since I was sick, the house was messier than I could stand and cleaning with kids in the house is a soul crushing endeavor.  They came at 9 am and kept the kids for nearly 5 hours, allowing me to clean the house, child free and to do the grocery shopping, child free.
I actually LIKE cleaning my house.  I know that sounds insane and I probably do need therapy, but if the kids are gone (or even if it's just Zuri, asleep in her room while Aaron is at school) I can crank up the iTunes and sing along while I do that deep down cleaning that every house needs.  I pledged all the wood in the house, moved all the furniture and vacuumed/steam cleaned under it.  I even added Downy to the steam cleaner and now my carpet feels like a soft, fluffy cloud.
Shopping with kids is a test of wills.  Does Aaron have the will power to scream from International foods all the way to Baking or will he give out before we even hit Canned goods?  Can I resist the urges to push the Buggy full of kids into the Deli area and run the other way?  When the cashier says that a screaming, crying Zuri is so cute and she'd take her off my hands, how hard will it be for me to not jump up and down, clapping and yelling 'Yippy!'?  I can shop with kids. I can get in and out of the store in 45 minutes or less, getting 90% of what we need.  The only problem is that I spend a crap load of money.  Some on junk.  I start throwing random items in the cart, walking through the store like a mombie (mom zombie...), trying not to cry as I get LOOKS from other people.  Other times, the crap load of money is spent because I want to get out of there so fast, I don't price compare.  Who gives a shit if peanut butter A is 33¢ an ounce and B is 23¢ an ounce, I don't have time to read that!  Just give me the brand that's closest to the beginning of the aisle so I don't have to waste time going all the way down.  
This time, I spent an hour and a half shopping.  And got everything we need.  For two weeks.  With the exception of milk and fresh fruit/veggies, I don't have to step foot in H.E.B. for the next 25 days (I know that's longer than two weeks, but b/c the in-laws had the kids, I went a week early and still have food left from last trip).  I even spent less than usual.  Cause my brain actually remembered the coupons, I got some buy 2 get 1 free deals and I price compared everything.  It went so well, I'm actually considering a babysitter when I need to do the shopping. I figure $15 is worth the serenity in the store. 

8 comments:

Homeslice said...

hell yeah, it's worth $15!!!! i need to find a shopping buddy so we can trade off watching each other's kids. i can't STAND grocery shopping with them.

Lisa said...

Shopping buddy is a good idea as well. My only friend that had days off is deployed with Nick, so unless I want to go shopping at night (and I don't, there's no samples at night!) I have to either take them, or find a sitter.

Dawn said...

I'm cracking up at you not wanting to go at night because there are no samples!! LOL

It is so worth the babysitter to go shopping without the kids. It's almost ALMOST like a vacation! Pathetic as it sounds!

Glad you got so much accomplished. I get to go shopping tomorrow. Ugh!

Christine said...

"MOMBIE!!!!" I LOVE IT!!! I have to remember that one. Thanks for the laugh I can really visualize all that! :)

Sara said...

I so hate grocery shopping with him. I'd rather have my toenails pulled out. I'm a mombie right now. Describes to so aptly...

Christina said...

I know exactly what you mean, there is no worse torture than shopping with kids. In fact, we should sell that idea to the military, I bet they'd get the bad guys to talk way faster than waterboarding. The best is when the two kids start fighting, hitting each other and ramming carts into random strangers. Ahhhh, mommy needs a beer just thinking about it.

Glad you got to have a kid free cleaning day, sounds like a good time! No really, I mean it. :) Glad you had a great day.

Anonymous said...

Um, if I come watch your kids, will you clean my house? Pretty please?

Lisa said...

I love cleaning other people's houses, so that's a deal Lulu