Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Things about Lisa


My first Thursday 13 will be my 13 favorite books!  In no particular order:

1)Lord of the Flies by William Golding.  We read this book in 11th grade and I've loved it ever since.  Thank you Mr. Ford for making us read it.  I knew there was a reason I liked you as a teacher (well, besides you being hot)

2)The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.  This was my first King novel.  I read it in 7th grade.  Probably now, it wouldn't be in a Jr. High school, probably because it says the word 'penis' more than a conservative southern school would like it to, but it's the book that made me love Stephen King as an author.

3)The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  This is out of the 'norm' from what I read, but I loved it just the same.  It's a sad book that'll make you cry, but also has happy moments that'll make you cry as well. 

4)The Stand by Stephen King. Another King book that I absolutely couldn't put down.  It's a monster of a book, but it's so addicting I read it straight through only stopping to eat and sleep.  Then I picked it up a few weeks later and read it again.  If you've seen the movie but didn't like it, still read the book.  It's so much better than the movie.

5)Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett.  This is probably the funniest book I've ever read. I love the humor in it, the use of footnotes and just the overall way the book was written.  Just don't loan it out, you'll never get it back.

6)A Child Called 'it' by Dave Pelzer.  This book will make you cry.  It'll make you question humanity and have you saying 'why' quite often.  It's a really good book if you're able to handle extremely sad things.  I had to read it in spurts, never all at once.

7)Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen  This is an emotional book for me as well.  I love how it bounces back from present to past but manages to do it without losing the reader.  Very well written

8)Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.  Japanese Culture?  Of course I'd love it.  It's also a beautifully written book, full of emotion.

9)Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl  Okay, what woman WOULDN'T love a book about a chocolate factory?  Actually, my love of this book goes back to watching the movie every year as a family when it came on TV.  It's one of my most favorite movies, so the book is of course up there in the rankings.

10)I am America (And so Can You) by Stephen Colbert.  This book is funny if you're a follower of the show.  And since I refuse to miss an episode, I loved it.

11)Hate Mail From Cheerleaders by Rick Reilly  I first fell in love with this comlumnist while reading the last page of DHs Sports Illustrateds

12)The Host by Stephanie Meyer  I just got this book and already it's a favorite.  I love how it's written and the story line.  Glad it's a hard copy cause I can see myself reading it over and over again.

13)Homecoming by Cynthia Voight  I've had this book since I was about 10.  The same copy.  It's well worn and very much loved.  The spine is falling apart from the 100s of times I've read it.  A 'sad at times book with plenty' of good moments kinda book



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday.  Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!  If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments.  It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



4 comments:

Homeslice said...

this was awesome. i have a bunch of books to add to my "must read" list. i'm going to steal your idea!

Dawn said...

I really liked The Stand as well. But, I think my favorite King book was IT. That scared me silly! lol

And, since you liked The Host you really should read the Twilight series now. :)

Sara said...

I am bringing Good Omens with me on vacation, loved Memoirs of a Geisha, and got to meet Dave Pelzer at a child protective services conference about 10 years ago. He's so quiet and unassuming in person. His book made me so disgusted it helped me choose my career path (and realize I couldn't handle dealing with abusive parents!). I'm almost done with Breaking Dawn and already bought The Host. I am SO sucked in.

Great list of books!

4 Lettre Words said...

I've read #1, 3, 6 & 8. All great books.

I jotted the rest down in "my list". Thanks!!