Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Things worked out pretty well this year.  Nick's maternal grandmother has been in the hospital for the past few days, but after a few stints being put in and a pacemaker, she's doing pretty good.  The in-laws decided at the last minute, after the doctor told them she was going to be fine, to go up to WI to be with the other half of the family.  So even though the surprise is spoiled, the rest of it isn't.  I had waited until they decided what they were going to do to decide what I was going to do.  If they stayed, the kids and I would go to the in-laws for the holiday.  If they left, I was going to get food and cook here.
Since they left, I went shopping for a mini-meal for the kids and I.  I went to the town 20min away, even though I live about 1/2 a mile from a grocery store because the Wal-Mart over there never has anyone and I figured it'd be less crowded than the HEB behind the house.  And I was right.  It was so uncrowded, I got a spot right up front and managed to buy everything I needed in less than 30 min.  I got a bagged turkey breast (the preseasoned kind that takes only two hours to cook), sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and all the things to make sweet potato casserole.  I could have spent all day shopping, making the meal bigger and bigger, but I decided to make it the things I couldn't live without.
I didn't have to start cooking until 11, my meal only took 2 1/2 hours to cook.  Unfortunately, it was a lot of peeling and prepwork, but the food turned out awesome.  Also, neither of the kids wanted anything.  Zuri has a head cold and wasn't hungry and Aaron's meds are keeping him from wanting to eat.  Oh well.  I stuffed myself silly and then passed out on the couch for 3 hours.  Have to keep up with tradition.
At this moment, we're working on potty training.  Zuri keeps saying she has to go potty, so she goes to the toilet, sits on it for 2-3min, then gets off and claps.  Nothing comes out.  But she's proud of herself anyway.  I figure I'll let her keep doing it and maybe eventually she'll go.  No pressure.
That's all.  Have a Happy Day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you!!!! Less is best right? :o)

Dawn said...

I'm soooooo glad everything worked out for all of you! I really was worried about what you would be doing.

Lweeks said...

Good for you Lisa. I'm glad things worked out for Nick's family.
Now you have leftovers which is best! Hope Zuri feels better soon.

Sara said...

I miss the passing out on the couch thing... but at least I didn't have to cook. Glad things worked out ok. Don't kids have to, automatically, get sick for holidays? Ry hasn't been able to breathe in a week.

Christina said...

I'm glad you ended up having a nice Thanksgiving! My girls were sick that day too and didn't eat much, so I can relate a little. Hope Zuri is feeling better.

4 Lettre Words said...

I am sooooo far behind! Very glad that things worked out for you on turkey day.

Hope you guys are enjoying the Christmas season!